Come explore the great Canadian outdoors in Banff National Park. With a wide variety of outdoor activities, there is something for everyone.
Our Top 10 Summer Activities in Banff
1. Ride the Banff Gondola
Get a stunning bird’s eye view of Banff by taking a ride on the Banff Gondola. The Gondola takes you to the top of Sulphur Mountain, where you get an incredible view of six mountain ranges. To save money, check out our Sightsee & Soak package.
2. Go Canoeing or Kayaking
A great activity for the entire family. Some of the favourite spots to explore by boat are Two Jack Lake, Vermillion Lakes, Bow Lake, Lake Minnewanka and Johnson Lake.
- Kayak and canoe rentals can be found at the Banff Canoe Club.
Surround yourself with the beauty nature has to offer. There is over 1,600 kilometres of maintained trails in Banff National Park. Prime hiking season runs from July through mid-September. The Douglas Fir Resort has some great family-friendly trails that you can access right from our backyard.
- Hiking in Banff – Parks Canada
- Popular Hikes, Banff and Area
- Download a trail map of hiking trails around the Town of Banff – (PDF)
4. Go Fish
Some of the most popular locations for finishing include Lake Minnewanka, Two Jack Lake, Bow Lake and Bow River.
A national park fishing license is required for fishing in Banff National Park. Permits can be purchased at park’s information. For more information, visit Parks Canada.
5. Wildlife Viewing
The Rocky Mountains is home to some array of magnificent wildlife. Most commonly see are the elk, bighorn sheep and deer but there are also bears, coyotes, wolves, moose, lynx, mountain lions and much more! Some of the more popular spots to view wildlife in Banff are the Vermillion Lakes, Bow Valley Parkway, Fernland Trail and Minnewanka Loop.
When viewing wildlife, keep your distance and be sure to practice wildlife safety.
- Discover Banff Tours also offers two different wildlife tours
- Wildlife Viewing & safety– Parks Canada
6. Horseback Riding
Enjoy views of the Canadian Rockies on Horseback. There are a couple of different outfits that half day and full day trail rides in Banff:
With over 190 km of mountain bike trails and many road riding options, Banff is home to some of the most spectacular cycling in the world.
- Bikes can be rented from Banff Adventures, Banff Cycle and Soul Ski & Bike.
- Rules, Regulations and Safety – Parks Canada
- Trail Conditions Report - Parks Canada
- Biking Trails in the Banff Area (PDF) – Parks Canada
Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets is a great place to start your cycling adventure. We have a couple mountain biking trailheads that start at our property in addition to be located on beautiful Tunnel Mountain road, which is a popular ride among cyclists.
Golfers will not want to miss a round at one of these golf courses. Golf courses in the Canadian Rockies are open from May through October depending on conditions and rentals are available.
- Banff Springs Golf Course – Banff
- Brewster’s Kananaskis Ranch Golf Course – Located in Kananaskis
- Silver Tip Resort – Located in Canmore
- Canmore Golf & Curling Club – Located in Canmore
9. Ride the River
If you are looking for a little more action, try one of these white water rafting adventures. Or, if your looking for something a little more relaxing, try a river float instead! Various river tours are available for all ages and abilities in half, full and multi-day trips.
- Canadian Rockies Rafting
- Rocky Mountain Raft Tours
- Wild Water Adventures
- Chinook Rafting
- Hydra River Guides
10. Take a drive
You’ll be driving on some of the most scenic roads in the world. Popular drives include:
- TransCanada Highway (Highway 1) running from Banff to Lake Louise
- Bow Valley Parkway, from Banff to Lake Louise
- Icefields Parkway (Highway 93 North) rated on the the world most scenic highways by National Geographic.
- Also see our list of Family-Friendly Drives in Banff National Park
Adventure Starts Here
Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets is the perfect place to kick start your summer adventure in the Canadian Rockies! Our condos, chalets and specialty suites offer beautiful scenic views and include all the amenities to make your stay comfortable. All of our suites include a full kitchen, air conditioning, fireplace, in room entertainment and free unlimited access to the town of Banff shuttle. View all of our amenities or Book your room today!